Sunday, June 11, 2023

Ruben's Notes

 

Ruben Marino - Thoughts and Impressions, #1

This was the furthest I've sailed, and its majesty is over the moon. The family sent Silas with me, quite stoic, and always dependable Silas. He's always handy and keeps me in check. We got this dame and a professor who also joined us. Sally's a head doctor and probably wouldn't be an easy mark for my flimflam, and the professor is kinda a daisy, but I'm guessing he doesn't leave the school faculty much. Cards, Backgammon, and getting to know each other made the trip go quicker; the weather couldn't have been any nicer, and that's the way I like my duck soup.

Silas knew the lingo, and that made it easier to get around Lima. I felt like Gulliver towering over these natives dressed in their bright colors as I moved my wallet to the inside pocket of my vest. After picking up various sundries and picking up attire that would make us seem less of a mark, we made our way to the appointed time to meet Mr. Larkin.

I gave Augustus Larkin the ol' up-and-down from the moment we entered the hotel and knew he was into dope. I'm pretty sure Sally caught wind of what I was thinking, smart gal. The other two at the table were introduced. To Gus's left was a swarthy gentleman with a fancy sword by the name of Mendosa. The fellow opposite was Jackson Elias, who was clutching his pipe with white knuckles, nervous and why? As old Gus was coughing into his handkerchief and talking with his hands, I could track marks leaving evidence of his vice. He told us that there were riches in the Pyramids, and any supplies we would need would be compensated. It would be a few days before we would leave, and both he and Mendosa took their leave back to their hotel.

A few moments after Mr. Larkin and Mendosa left, Jackson came clean that was his alias, and he went by Jesse Hughes, an author from the States. We swore that his secret was safe, and he'd done some investigating on Mendosa, who is a real bat cat according to the natives. They claimed he was a vampire, which would be scary if you believed in that sort of malarkey. He was also tied into some kind of cult with what he thought maybe had a dozen members. I wonder if Mendosa got Larkin hooked on Smack and is using his knowledge to try and get the golden treasures from the pyramid...?

No comments:

Post a Comment