Sunday, June 11, 2023

From the Journals of Professor Arthur Thompson

Professor Thompson - Journal Entry #1






1921-1-15

Exciting news appeared in the paper today, a pyramid appears to have been discovered in Peru. An expedition is being assembled, I must see if I can secure a place in it.

If true, there is so much we can learn. To think that pyramids might have been built outside of Egypt. Most exciting. I’ll be speaking to the Dean today, I just hope approval can be obtained in time, I know these things take time.

1921-1-17

These yanks are so quick with their decisions, unlike the administrators back home. I am cleared to make the journey. Now to secure a place with the expedition leader. If only the approval had come in sooner in the day; I’ll have to visit the telegraph office tomorrow.

 1921-1-19

Confirmation has been received, and I have secured a place on the team. I also made sure to purchase a train ticket immediately upon receipt of the news. The planning process can now commence. With this happening during the semester, I will need to work with the other professors and the Dean to make accommodations.

 1921-2-27

After a month of preparation, the train trip has commenced. I am in for four days of travel on this leg, followed by approximately two weeks on a ship. My understanding is that I will be spending the sea portion of the trip traveling with a few other expedition members. It will be interesting to learn from them and what their varied fields of expertise are.

 1921-3-3

I am back on solid ground, in the city of San Francisco. I have one day to rest before boarding the ship. I wonder how similar it will be to the journey I made across the pond to teach at Miskatonic University. After being stuck on a train for the past few days, I believe that I will indulge in a nice dinner.

As this was my first trip west of New York, it was fascinating to see much more of this country and how large it truly is.

 1921-3-18

We have arrived in Peru. I forgot just how much I dislike the sea, though I admit that it makes this feel like a proper adventure. I’m not certain if my walking is fully stable at this point, but my hope is that it will be tonight, for we have a meeting with our expedition leader and I want to make a good first impression.

My fellow expedition members that were on the ship are an interesting lot: a few blokes that are probably best described as ruffians, and a former student. Her presence was a true surprise, I did not expect to know anyone that would be on this journey, let alone someone that has been in my classroom. Knowing her area of study, I am slightly worried about what we are expected to experience, or is her mental health knowledge not the reason she is here? I was not able to find an answer on the sea journey, maybe her performance in the field will reveal the answer.  

No comments:

Post a Comment